Since I started JVC, I've had the sense that there is a misunderstanding of the "simple living" value. To give you an idea of what I mean, I was talking to one of my co-workers about our budget and stipend. His response: "So you all are living poor for a year, for nothing?" There was pity on his face, and I can only imagine what he was thinking, "Poor girl, how'd she get suckered into this." But I think when he saw the amused look on my face he realized the words that just came out of his mouth. He preceded to correct himself, "Well not for nothing, but you know what I'm saying?" Despite my burning desire to get on my soapbox, (because I knew he meant well, and was more concerned about my well being than anything) I gently explained that we are nowhere near living in poverty, and that we live simply. And this was not the first or only occurrence that inspired me to write this blog. I've talked to many people, who see our way of living as "inferior" to theirs.
So what does it mean to live simply? I think it has to start with realizing the difference between what we want, and what we need. And let's admit, that's easier said than done. About two weeks to the end of last month, we ran out of butter, and we didn't have time to get more until the following week. Unfortunately, we needed other groceries by the end of the week, and since we were at the end of our food budget, there was no room for butter. So instead of chucking bread and milk off of our grocery list, and after a long serious discussion, we came to the tragic conclusion that we would go another week without butter. You know what happened? Nothing. We survived. And it gave me more insight on how to live simply. During the week, while I was eating my dry toast and plain popcorn, (not at the same time) I was reflecting on what it must have been like during the depression, that some of our families actually experienced. In fact, I was thinking of what it must be like in some of my clients' households who can't even afford groceries. And then I really liked that dry toast. I really liked it. Proverbs 27 tells us "He who is full loathes honey, but to the hungry even what is bitter tastes sweet." I'm not "going hungry," but I am trying to get rid of things that get in the way of having a grateful heart.
I've always been a pretty healthy eater, but simple eating has been even better than conscious healthy eating. My diet has consisted of plain oatmeal (it's cheap, nutritious, and filling), all kinds of grains, and I have been trying to eat more of a "raw" vegetarian diet (instead of cooking and using gas/electricity). My community and I try to eat beans and rice a couple times a week for dinner (which with the right spices, can be quite delectable). Not only are we saving money and reducing our impact on the environment, but I feel great. For the past year or so, I have been struggling with running and getting my pace back to what it was when I qualified for Boston. I'm not sure what happened- maybe I was missing some nutrient, or just not being health conscious enough, but running became a physical struggle, and as you all know, I am in love with running. It is my medicine. My go to when I don't know where to go. Anyway, since I've started JVC, when I go for long runs, I lose track of how far I've gone. For the first time in forever I got my pace down to 6:30 during a 3 mile run yesterday, and would have gone longer if I wasn't pressed for time, because it finally felt good. I think God created us to operate optimally on the bare minimum so that we could have more time and energy for Him and the things He created us to do.
Aside from a simple diet, we've also eliminated paper products from our household. Instead of using napkins and paper towels, we use our sleeves....just kidding. We've learned to use hand towels and dish cloths. We try to consciously take shorter showers, and use less electricity when we can. We reuse containers to store leftovers (like butter containers :)) and of course the obvious one, we reuse grocery bags. I also really like that Allie always seems to know the best things to buy local/Fair Trade. We try to buy free range eggs, local honey, fair trade coffee and tea, and we shop at the local City Market for produce. I've been biking to and from work, and sometimes I even run home (I'm pretty sure my co-workers think I'm strange).
So now you can see why I'm so flabbergasted when people think JVC is living poor. We are filthy rich in the very decision we have to live this way every day. The other day, Allie and I were tutoring a couple of the kids she works with at Operation Breakthrough. Operation Breakthrough is a daycare/family social work service for families who can't afford day care, rent, food, etc. Anyway, Allie was working with a first grade boy on telling time. Allie read one of the questions to him off the worksheet, "What time do you eat dinner?" "We don't eat dinner." He responded. That sentence is forever ingrained in my mind. The people we work with have no other options. They can't just make a decision. And that is the difference between poverty, and simplicity.
What
is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing
greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost
all things.
Philippians 3:8
No comments:
Post a Comment